As midwives we know that pregnant women can be sensitive beings. We know we should think before we speak and we should choose our words wisely as even the most innocent remark can be misinterpreted and leave the expectant mother in a rage or in tears, or both!
Pregnancy can be a walk in the park for some women but for others it can be an emotional roller coaster, so surely we should cut them some slack, after all they are growing the next generation inside them, and that’s a big deal!
Slightly tongue in cheek but here are our:
Top 5 things NOT to say to a pregnant woman
1. Oh God you’re massive, are you sure there’s not two in there?
2. You’re hypnobirthing??! Don’t be ridiculous, take all the drugs they offer you!
3. Don’t bother with a birth plan, cos it won’t go to plan, it never does.
4. Don’t have a home birth what about all the blood and other stuff you’ll have to clear up at the end?
5. Youre going to call him Dexter? How lovely that’s my dog’s name!!