For friends who are due to give birth we like to make them a labour survival kit as a present. This would be a great gift for a baby shower. Or for yourself if you are preparing to give birth. Most items are also useful for after the birth too.
Here is what we include;
- A flannel – The most useful tool for labour. Hot for lower back, and to cover bump in the bath. Cold to mop brow, neck.
- Lavender oil – Few drops in pool or bath or in oil for a massage. Also helps healing after the birth added to the bath or on your pad.
- Rescue Remedy – calms and soothes
- Glucose energy tabs, Isotonic drink, sweeties, honey – To give you energy when you are flagging.
- Small spray bottle – can fill with cold water to spritz your face
- Lip balm – mouth gets very dry with gas and air
- Paracetamol – Great for early labour and after the birth
- CD of relaxing music – may also help settle baby
- Mini bottle of Prosecco – to celebrate afterwards!
- Dark chocolate – to boost iron level after the birth
- Raspberry leaf tea – Nourishing, helps uterus to contract in labour and after the birth